Details....

November 19, 2009

With a basic plan for each week in place, the next step is to add in all the other details. Homekeeping & chores, menu planning, activities, appointments, trips...anything and everything.

Going in, I knew I needed to designate a day for certain things like paying bills, grocery shopping, etc, so those were tackled first.

WD1 - Nothing extra...get the week started on the right foot.
WD2 - Project Day - Book necessary appointments and work on an outstanding project (work or home)
WD3 - Home Office Day - Pay bills, work on budget, correspondence, etc.
WD4 - This is the day I use to focus on my part-time job (it's one I do from home) You can tailor this day for something that is specific to you and your family.
WD5 - Planning day (in reality, this day moves around to fall on the day BEFORE DO1. Menu planning, planning errands (shopping lists) and planning the upcoming week.
DO1 - Shopping and errands
DO2 - Free day

Next, I broke down my household chores by day. The objective in doing this was to free up one of my days off. I had begun to feel like I never had anytime to do what I wanted to do, because there was always something around the house that had to be done. I felt like I never, EVER, had a day off. The solution was as simple as setting aside time each day to tackle chores. That kept me from having to spend the entirety of a day off cleaning and running errands.

There were 2 key elements that made the system work for me.
The first one was time.
I gave myself a set unit of time to do each chore...15 minutes. I knew I could do pretty much any chore in 15 minutes as long as I didn't get sidetracked or hyper focused.

The second element was breaking down the chores that needed to be done each week as opposed to the ones that needed to be done less often.
Weekly -
Vacuum
Dust
Quick-clean bathrooms
Sweep and mop kitchen
Sweep porches
Clean front and back doors
Change bedding

15 minutes for each item on the list meant I could do everything in less than 2 hours. That could easily be done on one of my days off, or they could be spread out over 4 days (2 chores per day). Some weeks I'm industrious enough to do a couple per day, other weeks, I leave them all to one day. It just depends on the week and what other stuff is going on.

Next up, the daily breakdown...

0 comments: